people // jess - the island of dr gateau

7 Jul 2010

 
grenadine and cherry velvet cupcakes


it's no secret amongst my family and friends that i love food. i mean, i really love food. the kind of love that gets me bouncing in my seat with excitement when masterchef is on (and marion wins yet another challenge) and that i plan to centre my days around eating out rather than shopping when i visit melbourne next month. i love baking and have perfected the art of the red velvet cupcake and, more recently, creme brulee. but my culinary skills have got nothin' on my friend jess'.

jess started her own blog, the island of dr gateau, and it's pretty darn spiffy. she's completing her thesis in neuroscience and is frighteningly intelligent with an amazing memory. her parents also have artistic backgrounds and she's a wonderful photographer and artist herself. oh, and she could also rattle off the names of every model in the pages of vogue while dressed impeccably herself in lanvin, country road and thurley. she's recently back from a trip with her boyfriend to canada and new york where they ate their way around some amazing cities. i followed her photos avidly on picasa.

we tried making red velvet cupcakes for the first time together and have been obsessed with them ever since. jess takes it a few steps further and keeps trying variations. her latest is malted red velvet cupcakes, which i can't wait to try because i love malt!

click through for the recipes.



malted red velvet cupcakes

yuzu tart

chocolate brandy mousse with vanilla pear puree and pear tart milk pudding

alexander kapranos brownies


peach tea velvet cakes

4 comments :

  1. My, what a clever name for a foodie blog! Thanks so much for sharing, I would love to feature her as a Yummy Delicious one day. Thanks also for stopping by my blog, so lovely to meet you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure jess would love that!

    and it's lovely to meet you too. i'm only just starting to comment on blogs (probably because i have my own now and i get ridiculously excited when someone comments on my blog!) and it's a great way to meet other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you're too sweet, Hel. :)

    I will find us another go-to cake recipe if it's the last thing I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. since i provided the original red velvet recipe, i fear this job falls to you!

    ReplyDelete

fourzerofive All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger